I believe in Science: Vaccination

Bub got her four month vaccination this morning. But this post is not about that saga. This post is about someone who did not get a vaccination.

A family member came to stay with me for a month. They live overseas and I really appreciate the effort and support from them. 95% of the stay was fantastic. I got to spend time with them. They got to spend time with Bub. They cooked and cleaned for me. They helped me get back on my feet. The other 5% of the time was challenging because we do not see eye to eye on a few issues.

One of those issues is vaccination.

Well before they came I had one single request. Please get your whooping cough vaccine. I knew this person would take some convincing so I sent lots of links to reliable websites/reputable sources hoping that would do the trick. They said they would look into it. Who were we kidding? I knew it, they knew it… they were never getting that vaccine.

Less than two weeks before they arrived, after radio silence on the issue, I asked about it. I was told they didn’t have the chance. After 20 minutes of fuming (not to them, to myself), I somewhat calmed and acceptance followed. I would prefer them to get to know Bub and to have a pleasant stay than for me to stay angry about this. I didn’t actually believe Bub was going to contract whooping cough from them, I just wanted peace of mind. In the end it’s not that big of a deal right?

But it would be a big deal if everyone did not vaccinate. Vaccination has helped to eradicate and/or drastically reduce the incidence of many diseases worldwide. Any of my students who actually listened in my Year 9 class (before I left on maternity leave) could tell you that. The reason children not vaccinated are still relatively safe is because of all the children who were vaccinated. It is basic science.

I mentioned vaccination once when my family member was here. “I’m surprised you got your job without the whooping cough vaccine.” Their boss is a wife of a millionaire, my family member looks after a toddler. I was told their boss doesn’t believe in vaccination. The conversation ended shortly after because there was only so long I could keep talking about it with this person without losing my shit.

I support people making the best, informed decisions for their children. The choice to vaccinate doesn’t just affect one child, it affects all children. It is a public health issue. It is a scientific issue, so base your decision on science perhaps? Some people read anecdotes, listen to hearsay and Donald Trump. They look up information from a non reliable, non reputable website and call that research. Unless you have looked up valid scientific papers, then you ain’t done no research.

To be honest, I haven’t done scientific research either. Luckily I have commonsense.

Do you agree with me? If you don’t then let’s agree to disagree and never mention this again.

An older British poster supporting vaccination. I got it from wikipedia - Good pictures, unreliable information
An old British poster supporting vaccination. I got it from Wikipedia – good pictures, unreliable information
Share MeEmail this to someoneShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Reddit

4 thoughts on “I believe in Science: Vaccination”

  1. I completely agree. That decision can impact other children that your child comes into contact with. It can be scary to think that some people don’t believe in science!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *